Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ghosts, Ghouls and a 5th of Vodka

When i was a kid, this was never my favorite time of year. But i guess moving to TN and it being hot all the time, made me miss home (PA) and the fall weather. It has actually been cool for almost two weeks and it is so great. It definitely put me in the mood for some Hot apple cider, leaves falling, Halloween and ghost hunting.

The last two years i have went all out for my costumes for Halloween. My love for Sci-Fi & Fantasy has, for some reason, never entered into my costumes till i started watching Anime. I'm sure it all links up somewhere. When i was younger my backup costume was always a black cat. I would wear a black shirt, black jeans, a tail, ears and paint my face. Started getting old at some point, but i never thought to be a Star Wars character or a character from Legend or a Rainbow Brite. Also as a kid you don't have the money to put into a costume like an adult would.

Two years ago i was Arwen from LOTR and you can imagine how much that cost! I can't believe now what money i spent on it. I purchased a real metal crown from Ebay and had a lady make me the dress (also found online). Last year i was a Lolita school girl. This is more along the lines of Japanese/Anime. It was a beautiful Black and white school girl shirt with a black shirt and petty coat underneath
. It's so much fun feeling different and being someone else for a night! I had no idea people, young and old, got so crazy with costuming till i started looking at Cosplay websites online. It makes me really wish i new how to sew and make my own cloths and costumes. To the outside eye it would look crazy or geek ridden. I think it's a lot of fun and i have seen some amazing stuff out there! It does kind of hurt when you see some who wear outfits they shouldn't or who just put little effort into it. But then again, i've been lazy plenty of times. No matter what, it should just be fun.

Since i have gotten older i have learned that the old saying be yourself, is truer than ever. Screw those people who are too cool to do certain things. I am lovin' my geeky hobbies and I'm starting to really get into them.

So, this year i am going as Cortana from Halo 3. I didn't realize she was different in each game till i started Googling images of her and reading other peoples' articles about Cosplaying her. She used to look very purple and now is more blue. The black lines are also different. I like the Halo 3 version and have of course been playing this game since it was out. I'm no Officer, but i love playing online and off. Unfortunately when you are on Xbox Live every asshole and his brother are on there playing. Little kids with attitudes or people who shit talk. Although i do enjoy my friend Michele talking it up, he's hilarious!

Okay, i'm back from my tangent :-) I am very excited about this costume because i have almost everything i need already. If i can take my time, i can get it very detailed. I ordered what is called a unitard, wig & make up. I think it will be awesome! I am going to dye the unitard and get fabric paint for the black lines. I also have an idea for putting fiber optics in the wig to make it look like the lines of her hair. I bought a particular wig with advice from some online forums and i am going to have a hair stylist cut it for me. It is super long right now. I will be writing about my progress and put some photos up later. If anyone has any tips, i'm open to any suggestions! Wow i wrote a lot! I'm out.

Oh and yes i will be having some crazy vodka drink this weekend, while sitting around the fire at my friends house! Cheers!

No comments: