Sunday, January 18, 2009

Unemployment Pick Up Lines??

It's a new year and so far it's been pretty rough for everyone it seems. For me as well, but among all the craziness, I wanted to share a story from my afternoon, last Wednesday!Here is a bit of my background first: I quit my job at the end of November after struggling and stressing with my job for 3 years. I know what you're thinking...., "What the hell, in this Economy?" Well, I thought about it for a long time and with the support of my boyfriend, I went for it. I would never have quit unless he was in agreement and he was actually encouraging it in November. There are many reasons I left, but that's a whole other story. Of course it has been a difficult job search and I expected it. Now I understand the saying, "Finding a job is a job in itself."

So during all this job hunting I keep checking the web page for the Career Center in town, in some areas it's known as "The Unemployment Office". I absolutely hate going there and every time I have, I get nothing out of it. All of the city jobs go through them, so it is worth checking out. The other day, I go through my normal routine of writing down the jobs I want to check out and drive out there. I park and creep in there, feeling like I crawled out of the gutter with all the other gutter kids sitting in there filling out paperwork. This time all I needed was a fax number for one of the jobs and the secretary still makes you wait with everyone else. So I sit down and wait. This dude with a black sweat shirt hood and knit snow cap, smiles at me from two tables over. I just smile and keep starring ahead. He walks over and grabs this stack of religious magazines off my table. I thought, he must have been sitting here before me and I took his seat. Funny, he didn't look like the religious type! So 15 minutes roll by and he walks over and smoothly slides this piece of paper across the table towards me and then walks towards the door. So he writes something along the lines of, "I was too shy to come talk to you, but I think you are very, very cute! Please call me sometime - 999-867-5309."

Really??? Really???...... WOW. Picking up chicks in the unemployment office is the new thing now?? Did I miss something? Hell, I have no job, you have no job, we have something in common!! WHY NOT! Imagine how sweet that first date would be?! Walking through the park, sharing a small fry at MickeyD's with the dollar change you found in your pocket. Anyway, I'm sure this guy could have been a nice guy and just took a chance, but I still think it's funny.

I ended up waiting 30 minutes for that stupid fax number which I'm sure I won't get called back on. I didn't know what to do with the note that dude gave me and there were people all around me, so I shoved it in my job folder I was carrying. I was messaging my friend, Chris, about the humor of what just transpired, when here he comes back into the building!
He sits down at the other side of the table and says, "You got it locked in?? You got it locked in?" (referring to his phone number in my phone). Then he started looking all around for the note he gave me. He said, "You threw it out, didn't you?" I just kept smirking and texting and he was just smiled and walked away sayin', "You're gonna call me right, right??"
Well shucks, that just makes me want to go back there even more!!

No comments: